Jungian synchronicity is a concept I keep returning to. Not that I understand it completely. I understand just enough to worry about the fact that I don’t understand it.
Because there are enough things happening in the world that suggest there is more going on than meets the eye.
An example:
Tennyson’s Locksley Hall is one of my favourite poems. I learned it by heart for my English Literature A-level (even then Tennyson was derided and unfashionable). I was attracted to the idea of being able to go back to the places of your past and find them still as they were (even now I dream of my grandparents’ home in Norfolk that I last saw when I was fourteen).
Therefore it was not unusual for lines from Locksley Hall to come “unbidden” into my mind when I am driving along a lane I have never been along before, on a moor, in a remote coastal district.
But what WAS unusual (and alarming) is for a house (a “Hall” in fact) to appear in front of me. And to be called Locksley Hall. And for me to feel I have seen it before.
Was the house named after the poem? Or did Tennyson base his poem on this actual house (he always said it was invented)? Was it just co-incidence that I should pass a real Locksley Hall at the time I am thinking of a fictional Locksley Hall?
Or did the house draw me to it? Or did my mind create the house out of nothing (and if so, was it real - and if it was not real how do I explain the photograph)? Or did the whole thing happen in one of the “parallel universes” we are asked to believe in? (and “believe” is the right word since it is apparent to me that science is more a religion than anything else).
The poem in full: http://www.bartleby.com/42/636.html
More on the poem: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locksley_Hall
More on synchronicity: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synchronicity
More on multiple parallel universes: http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/horizon/2001/paralleluni.shtml
No comments:
Post a Comment