On Saturday I did the shopping as usual in a supermarket in a local town.
I went round the store then approached the checkouts where I saw a large number (about fifty) of young people in camouflage uniforms, wearing army berets. They were the local Army Cadet Force, helping shoppers pack their groceries. Buckets at the end of each checkout collected donations (there was no obligation to give them anything).
I heaped up the groceries on the belt and the checkout operator began to put things through. I was hoping the bill would be under £80. At the end of the belt “Mick” (amiable, aged about sixteen, deep voice) introduced himself and proceeded to bag up the groceries.
Maris Piper potatos… Savoy cabbages… tins of Farrows processed peas…
With the army cadet bagging everything up there wasn’t much for me to do. I looked out the plate glass window at the gloomy sky. The checkout operator occasionally said things about the shopping (this happens so routinely now that I suspect it is a marketing ploy rather than genuine conversation).
Organic topside beef joint… organic chicken breasts… New Zealand lamb chops…
Half-way through the bagging Mick called over his shoulder to a group of army cadets standing by the window.
“Hey Lewis” (no answer).
“Hey Lewis” (no answer).
“Hey LEWIS” he bellowed the name out and caught the attention of a very young-looking cadet.
“What?” shouted back Lewis.
“That’s the third break you’ve had.”
“What of it?”
“Some people haven’t even had one break.”
Pears… apples… bread…
Stung by this accusation Lewis came over to the checkout.
“Okay, you can go” he said petulantly to Mick.
“That’s not what I meant” said Mick.
Surreptitiously Lewis tried to push Mick out of the way. Mick stayed where he was. As Mick was almost twice the size of Lewis he could not be moved.
Kilkof cough mixture (tastes like creosote)… box of Lily O’Brien’s chocolates (Valentines Day is on Thursday)… Nestle Toffee Crisp (five bar pack)…
Lewis picked up a carrier and began competing with Mick on packing the groceries. The checkout operator pretended not to notice. I pretended not to notice (even when the competitive packing became a bit frenzied and Lewis was grabbing groceries out of Mick’s hands).
I paid the bill (£127!). I put £5 (in coins) into the ACF collecting bucket. Mick wanted to wheel the trolley to my car, but I told him I could manage.
The thing that really impressed me about this episode was how polite and respectful Lewis and Mick were to me, even when they were squabbling. Not the usual image of young people (by “young” I mean under 18). Not the bored, slightly menacing, “whatever” attitude you usually get.
More on the Army Cadet Force: http://www.armycadets.com/home/
More on Kilkof cough mixture: http://www.bells-healthcare.com/Frames.htm
More on Lily O’Brien: http://www.lilyobriens.ie/
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment