Thursday, July 21, 2005

I think I did fairly well

In the morning spent more time registering with web sites that are advertising marketing jobs. Looked again through yesterday’s Guardian (has the most marketing jobs of all the national newspapers). Also completed an application form - it had to be hand written, so it took ages.

Then in the afternoon went to Finsbury Park for an interview at a big charity. It was quite a long walk uphill to the charity, housed in a collection of nineteenth-century buildings (modern additions tacked onto them). I was met by publications officer Sarah (“I’m still here after two and a half years” she told me, as if she was surprised by the fact). First to a small upstairs room where I was tested on how to mark-up copy (very easy test). Then a guided tour of the site, which was quite large and seemed to have been originally a convent for Methodist nuns (although the charity is no longer religious). My overall impression from the tour was how old-fashioned the organisation seemed to be (just from the look of the offices, and also the numbers of people they had in various departments - the design studio looked very top-heavy).

The interview (for the post of Communications Manager) was with a panel of three, each of them taking it in turns to ask me questions. I think I did fairly well. Afterwards Sarah showed me to the front entrance. Thinking about the place later, I feel it is the sort of organisation that once you enter, you stay for many years, with no pressure to move on. Comfortable in the short term, but ultimately leading nowhere. Possibly the place might be difficult to commute to.

No comments: