Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Today I posted a significant letter

Opening the curtains on the top floor of the house this morning, I saw that the magnolia was in flower. This is magnolia grandiflora, which is evergreen and rarely flowers (and then always in the late summer). Because the tree is so tall, and has thick glossy green leaves, you cannot see the flowers from ground level.

The flowers are white, and each one is about twenty inches across, with a heavy lemon scent. Despite the risk of being late, I went out into the garden to take a closer look at them. There are five of the big blooms. They will fall after three days, and then the tree will remain dormant for another three or four years.

At lunchtime today I posted a significant letter. The sort that might change my life. But then again, nothing might come of it, and I’ll remain where I am.

Five days until my birthday.

No comments: