As I drove to work this morning, on the duel carriageway, a car exactly the same as mine (one year older) came up behind and stayed there for about ten minutes, driving rather too close to the back of my vehicle. Looking in the rear-view mirror I could see a young woman of about eighteen or nineteen, wearing dark glasses. She had long strawberry-blonde hair. She was driving her car with just her left hand on the steering wheel (we were going about 60mph). In her right hand she had a hair brush, and was rhythmically brushing her hair, pulling the brush downwards and outwards, and giving a sensuous little flick to her head as each brush stroke finished. The sight in the mirror mesmerised me, so that I didn’t pay proper attention to the road ahead.
Into the office. Trevor Bush, Managing Director, had sent an e-mail to all the sales teams (copied to all department heads, including myself) complaining about the way in which one of the main product ranges is being sold. During the morning replies came in from the various sales managers, and the debate became quite convoluted. Some wild things were said about our branding policies and marketing campaigns (we’re an easy target). I felt drawn into the discussion, and using very moderate and reasonable language, I wrote a reply telling two of the sales managers that they didn’t know what they were talking about. I know they will retaliate in some way.
I have been mystified recently by hints from Neil Hancock, the Sales Director, to “punch ups” involving my assistant Adrian Taylor. Today the mystery was made clear – a few weeks ago Adrian Taylor was involved (along with fourteen other members of his old college’s rugby club) of fighting in a nightclub. After being ejected from the club, the rugby players continued fighting in the street, confronting the nightclub’s security staff. The police were called, and large numbers of people were arrested, including Adrian Taylor. He has been charged with “affray” and goes to court on 22nd November – as no leave is allowed during our busy season, he had to explain the circumstances requiring him to be absent, and thus I found out about his violent and disreputable adventure. He is very chastened about the experience, and confesses to being nervous about going to court.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I remember seeing a young lady putting on her make up while she was driving. I was amused and shocked, rather than mesmerised! ;) How she managed is still a puzzle!
Post a Comment