Monday
Overnight I did not sleep all that well. The temperature alternative too hot then too cold. Until I realised that it was not the temperature but myself that was going hot and cold.
I got up feeling terrible. Aches and pains all over and a complete lack of energy. Rare meeting with my brother in the outer kitchen (he is usually gone by the time I get up - he just told me I had a cold and I should pull myself together.
In retrospect I suppose I should have taken the day off, but so much to do this week meant I had to go in.
Because of the seminar and dinner on Thursday there were lots of people in the offices attending the planning meeting. Vijay Singh appeared and we chatted affably although we do not like each other. He is giving the main address on Thursday, which will be interesting.
Also I worked on an article for a publication - it has to be tediously bland, but has a circulation of 120,000 of the people we need to reach.
Some members of the Council appeared at lunchtime. So thoroughly has Alec Nussbaum taken over that it is a mild surprise to realise that we are accountable to these elderly gentlemen. One of them said to me: "The reorganisation has created a vacuum, and nobody knows what is likely to happen next".
Instead of joining the buffet lunch in the Board Room I took refuge in Deputy Director Marcia Walsh's office and watched BBC2 on her laptop.
Late afternoon an e-mail with the news that David L at Head Office had been made redundant (I worked with him on the exhibitions programme).
The city where the office is located can be a disturbing place away from the historic centre. Mostly put up in the 1970s and 1980s it generally appears well kept as you drive along the boulevards. Then you see see a burnt out car on a roundabout that had not been there in the morning and you realise that there are a lot of social problems.
Tuesday
Alec Nussbaum this morning: "I have in my mind an over-view of British society and how it is integrated".
I did some research for the media paper I am preparing. I had been concerned that it would be difficult, but once I began to break it down into sections it was not too bad. I went out at lunchtime just to get away from it for an hour - going to a cafe in the shopping centre they were playing Diana Ross I'm Still Waiting which seemed to sum up my mood.
When I got home I immediately fell asleep on the sofa for an hour, the dogs not yet fed.
Wednesday
Uncomfortably cold in the office. Obviously the heating has been turned off for the summer. I borrowed Marcia Walsh's electric bar heater.
Lots of people still milling about, staying in local hotels ready for Thursday. They come into the office because I suppose they do not have anywhere else to go. Mostly they looked bored.
The financial situation for the Institute does seem to have eased. Thursday is in many ways a fund-raiser as the Council and members could wipe away our debt easily if they wanted. They just need convincing that what we are doing is worthwhile.
Thursday
Although I was in a rush this morning I was sufficiently annoyed at the state of the Morning Glory that I stopped and put some gravel around the base (the leaves are being eaten by slugs!).
In the office everyone was stressed. An open clash between Marcia Walsh and Office Manager Gladys Y over some tiny mundane item (copying handouts I think). Then everything was packed into cars and driven to the hotel.
The seminar/AGM went well. I was so familiar with the content (having seen all the drafts) that I sat quietly at the back and did the live Twitter posts, most of which I had drafted advance. Still feeling very unwell so that I considered missing the dinner, but actually I was very glad I attended it.
Friday
I slept quite soundly, the first time this week. The hotel room heating was full on, which may have made a difference. Like everyone else I went straight from the hotel to the office.
Although we were at work, the day had the atmosphere of a holiday.
In a perfunctory sort of way I worked on the media supplement.
I sent 500 words to the in-house magazine - Danielle at Head Office e-mailed me "I laughed so much I got hiccups".
At 4pm everyone left.
Overnight I did not sleep all that well. The temperature alternative too hot then too cold. Until I realised that it was not the temperature but myself that was going hot and cold.
I got up feeling terrible. Aches and pains all over and a complete lack of energy. Rare meeting with my brother in the outer kitchen (he is usually gone by the time I get up - he just told me I had a cold and I should pull myself together.
In retrospect I suppose I should have taken the day off, but so much to do this week meant I had to go in.
Because of the seminar and dinner on Thursday there were lots of people in the offices attending the planning meeting. Vijay Singh appeared and we chatted affably although we do not like each other. He is giving the main address on Thursday, which will be interesting.
Also I worked on an article for a publication - it has to be tediously bland, but has a circulation of 120,000 of the people we need to reach.
Some members of the Council appeared at lunchtime. So thoroughly has Alec Nussbaum taken over that it is a mild surprise to realise that we are accountable to these elderly gentlemen. One of them said to me: "The reorganisation has created a vacuum, and nobody knows what is likely to happen next".
Instead of joining the buffet lunch in the Board Room I took refuge in Deputy Director Marcia Walsh's office and watched BBC2 on her laptop.
Late afternoon an e-mail with the news that David L at Head Office had been made redundant (I worked with him on the exhibitions programme).
The city where the office is located can be a disturbing place away from the historic centre. Mostly put up in the 1970s and 1980s it generally appears well kept as you drive along the boulevards. Then you see see a burnt out car on a roundabout that had not been there in the morning and you realise that there are a lot of social problems.
Tuesday
Alec Nussbaum this morning: "I have in my mind an over-view of British society and how it is integrated".
I did some research for the media paper I am preparing. I had been concerned that it would be difficult, but once I began to break it down into sections it was not too bad. I went out at lunchtime just to get away from it for an hour - going to a cafe in the shopping centre they were playing Diana Ross I'm Still Waiting which seemed to sum up my mood.
When I got home I immediately fell asleep on the sofa for an hour, the dogs not yet fed.
Wednesday
Uncomfortably cold in the office. Obviously the heating has been turned off for the summer. I borrowed Marcia Walsh's electric bar heater.
Lots of people still milling about, staying in local hotels ready for Thursday. They come into the office because I suppose they do not have anywhere else to go. Mostly they looked bored.
The financial situation for the Institute does seem to have eased. Thursday is in many ways a fund-raiser as the Council and members could wipe away our debt easily if they wanted. They just need convincing that what we are doing is worthwhile.
Thursday
Although I was in a rush this morning I was sufficiently annoyed at the state of the Morning Glory that I stopped and put some gravel around the base (the leaves are being eaten by slugs!).
In the office everyone was stressed. An open clash between Marcia Walsh and Office Manager Gladys Y over some tiny mundane item (copying handouts I think). Then everything was packed into cars and driven to the hotel.
The seminar/AGM went well. I was so familiar with the content (having seen all the drafts) that I sat quietly at the back and did the live Twitter posts, most of which I had drafted advance. Still feeling very unwell so that I considered missing the dinner, but actually I was very glad I attended it.
Friday
I slept quite soundly, the first time this week. The hotel room heating was full on, which may have made a difference. Like everyone else I went straight from the hotel to the office.
Although we were at work, the day had the atmosphere of a holiday.
In a perfunctory sort of way I worked on the media supplement.
I sent 500 words to the in-house magazine - Danielle at Head Office e-mailed me "I laughed so much I got hiccups".
At 4pm everyone left.
No comments:
Post a Comment