Saturday, October 27, 2012

Talking to Phillipa (who never seems to be busy) - the past week at work

Monday

After all the research interviews of the weekend I was looking forward to an easy day.  I reasoned that Director Vijay Singh could hardly complain if I had a little rest after working so hard.  But at our initial meeting this morning he was urging me to work night and day to get the briefing documents written as soon as possible.

My illness mostly gone, although I still have a slight cough and feel a bit delicate.

At 11 the general management meeting was held, chaired by Vijay Singh.  One by one the heads of department gave their reports and were subjected to painful interrogation by Vijay Singh.  But when my turn came there were no moments of anxiety - he praised the south London interviews I had done.

A timetable was outlined for production of the briefing documents, and I just agreed to what was said, although privately I was alarmed at the tight schedules.

In the afternoon a meeting with Vijay Singh and Acting Deputy Director Marcia Walsh to discuss the Head Office plans for pan-national digital communications.

Tuesday

How boring it is to be ill.  I have acute pneumonia.  Once again to the hospital and I was there almost the entire morning having x-rays done.

Later, back at home, perplexed over the failure of the new vacuum cleaner - I am completely impractical when it comes to items of machinery.

Wednesday

Gary from the Reading Room downstairs is an enigma.  He has no interest in books, and is the most unlikely person to be training as a librarian.  Probably he does the job because he can't get anything better (the pay is tiny).  Whenever he comes upstairs he always stops by my desk, although I don't know what to say to him.  All he talks about is sport.  Slim, pale gold hair (thinning), aged early twenties.

During the morning I briefed Joey by 'phone about the design and layout of a new publication.

At one o'clock was a meeting for the Birmingham working group.  The meeting held in Vijay Singh's office, which was rather too warm.  In the middle of the table sandwiches and orange juice. 

I gave my report which was actually quite full considering how little work I have done for the project over the last month.

Thursday

A meeting with Campaign Manager Callum Smith to discuss yet another initiative.  He wants my support for his idea to limit the work of the Institute so that we focus on fewer areas.  Vijay Singh is unlikely to agree to this, as it would mean curtailing his ambitions.

Gary came to my desk with advance copies of a publication dropped off downstairs ("I'm a delivery man today").  He told me he gets his hair cut every two weeks, which I thought unnecessary.  There has been something about his mood this past couple of weeks that I find difficult to pin down.

In the afternoon Vijay Singh asked me to draft a letter.

I prepared for my visit to Head Office tomorrow.

Friday

I caught the train that left just after 9.

At Head Office I went up to the second floor intending to base myself at Carol Reynolds' desk, having checked she would be out for the day.  But when I got to the desk there was a scrawny teenager with ginger hair sitting there.  "This is Ross, a temp" said office supervisor Abi. 

I sat at the next desk, which happened to be empty.

The Exhibitions meeting was cancelled, Kathleen Q apologising.

I filled the vacant time by going to Publications and talking to Phillipa (who never seems to be busy).

At one o'clock the digital communications meeting began.  Initially it just included Marcia Walsh (who had come down from the Institute) and Martin B, but after the first hour more people came into the room so that almost all the departments were represented.  The project is very ambitious and aims to put everyone (literally everyone) on a single database colour coded.

I left Head Office at 3.20, and despite my medication I drank bottled beer on the train back.

No comments: