I am not at work today - it is my birthday and I am having a quiet day at home.
Earlier, in the peace of the afternoon sunshine, I walked the dogs three miles along an unfrequented lane.
As usual, I looked at the wild flowers on the roadside.
Above: the banks of the ditches are covered in convulvulus.
Above: white convulvulus, also known as Field Bindweed.
Above: convulvulus with a subtle pink stripe.
Above: clumps of Achillea millifolium or Common Yarrow - the leaves are eaten as a boiled vegetable locally.
Above: poppies among the corn.
Above: a large thistle with the mauve flowers just beginning to come out.
Every time I walk along this lane the wild flowers have changed.
It is a reminder of how beautiful the natural world can be. All this would be at risk if GM crops were allowed to go forward. And yet this ever-changing show is the free heritage of all of us ("Bell notes alone ring praise of their own, As clear as the weed-waving brook and as evenly flowing").
Earlier, in the peace of the afternoon sunshine, I walked the dogs three miles along an unfrequented lane.
As usual, I looked at the wild flowers on the roadside.
Above: the banks of the ditches are covered in convulvulus.
Above: white convulvulus, also known as Field Bindweed.
Above: convulvulus with a subtle pink stripe.
Above: clumps of Achillea millifolium or Common Yarrow - the leaves are eaten as a boiled vegetable locally.
Above: poppies among the corn.
Above: a large thistle with the mauve flowers just beginning to come out.
Every time I walk along this lane the wild flowers have changed.
It is a reminder of how beautiful the natural world can be. All this would be at risk if GM crops were allowed to go forward. And yet this ever-changing show is the free heritage of all of us ("Bell notes alone ring praise of their own, As clear as the weed-waving brook and as evenly flowing").






No comments:
Post a Comment