Saturday, August 04, 2012

Not as much work as I should have done

Monday

Always Sunday nights are difficult and I seem to sleep badly.

As usual I eventually fell asleep about 2am and then woke again at 7am, feeling reluctant to start another week at work.

But also as usual a sense of duty compelled me to get washed and dressed, a sense of duty watched the time as I drank my morning cup of coffee, and a sense of duty accompanied me as I drove to the office.

The office seemed to be extraordinarily quiet this morning.  A warning from Anglea in the Admin team that IT officer John Johnson had been checking my internet access (she heard this from Kayla in the Admin team who is dating John Johnson).  Why should he monitor me, I wondered.

All the day I worked on a report on competition analysis as an evaluation mechanism.

Tuesday

The weather is rather dirty at the moment, a plethora of mud in the lanes due to the summer rain.

Another quiet day in the office.  I like these days when other managers are away and I can get on with things without being involved in meetings.  I talked to Research Manager Abi Reed about a small telephone campaign following up a mailshot we had done and asking how the information had been received.

Lunchtime I browsed on Amazon - it seems impossible to buy the poetry of Stefan George in a decent translation. 

More work on the competition analysis report, but not as much work as I should have done.

Wednesday

The telephone research carried out by Abi |Reed's team had come in, and I spent the morning putting it into a report.  Abi Reed (short but hefty woman, obese but also muscular) described a row she had had with her partner Warren:  "I tried on some new clothes and he said there was no point me buying them as I still looked fat - I told him I might be fat but he was stupid and at least I could do something about being fat whereas..."

Thursday

Angela brought round a card and a collection for Pat B who leaves tomorrow.  I put in £3 (all the cash I had on me unless I put in £10 and I did not feel like doing that).  "I've had no end of refusals" Angela told me.

Friday

Director Vijay Singh back in the office.  I had a meeting with him to discuss the competition analysis report.  I pressed him to tell me what was happening to the future of the Institute but all he would say was that he was working on something (we are supposed to be merging with Head Office, but that is not in our long-term interest).

Windy and cold at lunchtime.

Not much to do in the afternoon, so I was a little bored.

Joey (a graphic designer we use) rang to invite me to lunch at an Italian restaurant in London next week - this is obviously a freebie bribe to get more work, but I still said yes. 

As soon as 5pm arrived I was out of the office and driving home.

No comments: