Thursday, September 15, 2011
The new Sainsbury's Live Well For Less print ad
I really love the new Sainsbury's Live Well For Less print ad which appeared in the Independent today.
There's so much in the ad to enjoy, not least the use of a double-page spread to give us a fabulous photograph that is a genuine work of art. You could look at this photograph many times and still see new things - the sense of balance (the upright posts subtly matching the father and son); the different textures (wet pebbles, grainy wood, bleak sea); the wonderful muted colours. The sense of encapsulated narrative is also absorbing. Why is this father and son on a deserted beach together (divorced father given access? unemployed father with time on his hands? busy father simply taking quality time with his son?). Why have they gone to this wildly beautiful pebble beach instead of somewhere more sandy and more commercial? What is the meaning of the faraway look in the father's eyes?
On a conceptual level I like the implied offerings in the copy - the idea that less is more (always a powerful proposition), the ethical subtext (no cheapo pork and chicken from ultra-cruel factory farms), the advice that we already have the things we most want.
If I were to be critical I would say the orange text is a bit hard to read. Also the trendy steel thermos flask looks a little out of place. But these are tiny points - the ad is virtually perfect.
I think the ad agency that did this was AMV/BBDO - can't find the name of the photographer.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment