Monday
A new approach to my time management this morning. Arriving at my desk I immediately made a list of things I wanted to do today. But as the day advanced I started to relax and put off the ones that could be put off.
Most of the morning was taken up with a Working Group meeting to set up the NGO's membership scheme. Such a lot of waffle and hidden agendas (not least, I suppose, my own). At one level it is intriguing to be in at the very beginning of what promises to be a massive fiasco.
Then a meeting with my boss Communications Director Tom D. Also in this meeting was Research Manager Felix S (we both report to Tom). Recently Tom D had been criticised by the NGO's board for incompetence and had gone away on leave to "consider his position". With great solemnity he told us that he had considered his position, and despite the insulting things that had been said to him he had decided to stay at the NGO. "That's a great relief" I told him with equal solemnity. The sarcasm registered with Felix, who later hooted with laughter over it.
PR Officer Josie (who reports to me) seemed to be in a cheerful mood, in contrast to the moping attitude she has exhibited recently. She is having an affair with Operations Director Ryan M, and told me she finds it a relief sometimes when he is away (as he was today). I suppose constantly living in the realms of romance can be a strain for her.
Tuesday
Big meeting of all the NGO's staff this morning. The meeting had already begun when I took my team up to the Board Room, and the arrival of the Marketing department (all fifteen of us) caused a small stir. Operations Director Ryan M was chairing the meeting (about the future of the NGO) and he made gaffes, rambled, became ratty at interruptions.
As I was leaving I felt a tap on my arm and it was Innovation manager Preston suggesting a drink at lunchtime. When I went to the pub I found quite a crowd from the NGO was there - all the department managers. We sat in the pub garden discussing the future of the NGO which is about to experience funding cuts (it was an academic discussion for me, since I am not staying at the organisation).
In the afternoon Tom D and myself had a presentation from an ad agency who wanted to pitch various ideas to Tom. I knew one of the agency team, and asked about a colleague of his. "He left to become the drummer in a band" he told me.
Wednesday
I was at work an hour early today for a meeting with Ryan M. It was odd to see the offices so completely empty of staff. I went up to the Operations department where Ryan M appeared stressed, preparing things for his department while he is on holiday ("...everything done at the last minute - I can't work that way"). We talked through marketing for his department and he praised the work I have done. He was caustic in his criticism of other managers at the NGO ("...pigeon brains, they're all highly educated but they are blinkered; and me, I'm just some little upstart who wants to get things done"). He described his holiday plans, going to stay with his in-laws in Herefordshire (obviously going with his wife). Then he asked me to do a favour for him while he was away. Without much enthusiasm I asked what it was. He asked me to "look after" Josie S and make sure she was not upset while he was away.
Thursday
A nothing sort of day. Inconsequential meetings, routine 'phone calls, unimportant discussions. At the end of the afternoon I was stuck in a meeting that over-ran by forty minutes. When I came out I found that all of the marketing department had left for the day with the exception of Josie S. She said she was waiting to say goodbye to Ryan M before he went off on his two week holiday. As we chatted we heard the doors to the stairs open and heard Ryan M talking to CEO Alec Pressberg (we couldn't see them because of a line of screens). The two of them left the building and minutes later we saw Ryan M's car driving off.
Friday
Crisis in the Research section as Tom D has brought forward the deadline for an important report, and Felix S and his deputy Carol were in a state of crisis over producing this document.
"This whole exercise has taught me a lot" said Felix.
"You mean it's made you realise what a total bastard Tom is" said Carol.
Saturday, July 09, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment