Saturday, July 02, 2011

A boring working week

I wrote this when I was tired, so didn't remember everything - additional material is in red.

Monday

When I arrived at the offices they seemed strangely empty, so many people away attending the Special Projects launch.  I had not been invited to the launch, which did not surprise me since relations with Special Projects manager Carmel are not good.  Her son Leo works in the Marketing department and has not been performing well recently so I had to give him an official Warning.

Lunchtime I went to The Boot with Preston (Innovations manager) and Kevin (his deputy).  We talked about economics and (inevitably) office politics.  Preston very proud of his two daughters.

In the afternoon Felix (Research manager) bustling about preparing for the arrival of French intern Pascal.  He was late in arriving, and go to the office just before 5 o'clock.  Aged eighteen but so tall he towered over everyone, his English not terribly good ("It's at least as good as Leo's" said my deputy Meryl).

Tuesday

I was at a training course - can't reveal what it was for otherwise this blog would be discovered.  The training involved selected managers and directors of the NGO, and took place in the NGO's seminar room (on the top floor under the roof).  During the banter that characterised this course Special Projects Manager Carmel, and Operations Director Ryan M began talking about sex.  This had been initiated by a snide and unpleasant remark by Carmel about "cradle-snatching".  This comment was not ostensibly directed at anyone in particular but obviously meant for Ryan M who is having an affair with PR Officer Josie S, ten years his junior.  Ryan M retaliated by asking Carmel, with mock friendliness (as if they had been discussing different types of restaurant) about her sexual preferences, especially various forms of fellatio.  Carmel (divorced, aged in her fifties, dried-up face heavily covered in make-up) responded with an aggressive sort of enthusiasm, matching all of Ryan M's anecdotes with obscene observations of her own.  Instead of stopping this exchange the NGO's CEO Alec Pressberg roared with laughter and joined in with frequent quips as a succession of sexual practices were discussed.  The Trainer who was leading the course looked shocked.

Wednesday

Boring meeting over database policy.

The rest of the day spent preparing for the return of my boss Tom D who is back in the office tomorrow.  This meant rushing through all the things that I had not got round to doing while he had been away.  Also highlighting the things that had been done in a special status report.

Thursday

Central London all of the morning, not getting back to the office until mid-afternoon.  Tom D back and seemed in a good mood.  He asked me to join a working group on another of the NGO's initiatives.

I talked to PR Officer Josie about films and she suggested we go to see The Tree Of Life when it comes out (this was a strictly platonic suggestion - she is having an affair with Operations Director Ryan M).

Friday

Although intern Pascal is working for Research he is also carrying out some analysis for Marketing.  Felix and I talked through his Learning Contract with him.  Later I suggested that Meryl offer Leo (who reports to her) a Learning Contract, and to my surprise he was receptive.

On the whole it has been a boring working week.

No comments: