Sunday, July 24, 2011

Afternoon drive


Above:  afternoon drive to see one of the earliest memorial brasses in England (there are only four others which are older).  Late thirteenth-century half effigy of a knight in band armour.  I know that many experts say these brasses are not meant to be representations from life, but there was something about this guy's enquiring eyebrows, steady gaze and dimpled upper lip that made me think it might be a portrait.
















Above:  I also had a quick look round the rest of the church, although I didn't want to detain the churchwarden (who had disturbed his afternoon to let me in).  There is some magnificent woodwork dated to 1430, including the rood screen across the chancel arch and parclose screens either side which enclose two chapels (you might need to click on the photo to see them properly).  These chapels were the focus of cults dedicated to St Helen (who is supposed to have come from the county) and St Nicholas (venerated by a guild of saltwater fishermen).
















Above:  under the tower was an 18th century metal cylinder which contains the enclosure map (marked with tithes).  I wanted to see this, and hesitated about whether to ask to have it unrolled (the churchwarden would have obliged, despite being in a rush).  In the end I decided not to make a nuisance of myself.

No comments: