Monday
Yvette (head of the agency) was in a good mood, which transformed the usual Monday planning meeting.
I worked on copywriting for our charity client.
Lunchtime I met a friend and we went to a cafe for chocolate bread and coffee. I entertained him with stories about Yvette. News that a mutual friend had broken up with her boyfriend.
In the afternoon I worked half-heartedly on a presentation.
Last thing I went to see my financial services client. As I crossed the Thames I stopped to watch the grey-brown water rushing below. I could have watched the scene for hours, but had to hurry on into the offices to avoid being late (not that the client would have minded - he is very easy-going).
Tuesday
Quite a relaxed day. Apart from liaising with Hugh J in Brussels (our oil client) there was not a great deal to do. I gave two more of my clients away to Eleanor (trainee account executive).
Every couple of months we have a general meeting attended by Terry (who heads the PR division upstairs, and is our ultimate boss). Yvette announced that the next one of these meeting would be held this afternoon, so there was a flurry of preparations. I was able to produce some very spurious figures that "demonstrated" how agency billings were rising in real terms compared with a general fall in economic activity (Yvette was delighted with these stats).
The meeting started with lunch - sandwiches and chocolates, but no champagne because we hadn't exceeded our targets. Mostly Yvette talked while Terry listened sagely and the rest of us made occasional contributions. Everyone seemed shocked when Yvette announced that one night per week we will have a training session until 9pm.
Katharine (Terry's PA) sat in the corner and took the minutes. After the meeting, as we were going out, she told me she planned to go to Australia for ten months. Another person leaving.
Wednesday
As soon as I arrived at my desk, Terry K from the PR section upstairs appeared waving a national publication. He thanked me for the position his ad was in, and seemed genuinely grateful (the client has been very pleased). Actually I had placed the ad Run Of Press, and the good position was an accident.
During the morning there was a moment of drama. I was on the telephone, so could only pay half my attention to what happened. About ten o'clock Yvette appeared in the account execs' room and spoke to Andrea (Senior Account Executive). Her back was to me, so I couldn't really see much (Yvette is a big woman). After Yvette had left Andrea slammed down the 'phone she was holding, threw things violently around the room (but not in my direction), then put on her jacket. "Have a nice life everyone" she yelled as she stormed out.
John W (one of the directors, a very mild and ineffectual man) had been in the room at the time and looked very shocked.
I went through to the front office which has a view of the street, and saw Andrea walking off into the distance.
After about an hour Andrea came back and sat down at her desk giggling. "Sorreey" she said to Eleanor and myself, using a wacky accent and waving her hands. Nothing more was said.
Thursday
Very routine day.
Andrea was trying to get out of yet another client lunch with Yvette at the Italian restaurant, pushing Eleanor to take her place.
"Go on" she said to Eleanor, "the pig's ear with truffle sauce is lovely" ("it's a pig's ear" is Yvette's verdict on most creative work produced by our studio).
Nearly forgot: at the end of the day Julie's brother Martin came to meet her again (Julie is trainee account exec and Yvette's favourite). He had an olive-green bag on which was written, in thick black marker, 7th PARA RHA. Thin and sinewy, unsmiling, not saying anything. He looked about seventeen, but apparently is twenty-one. Julie and Martin left the office at the same time as Andrea and myself, and we all walked to the tube together. The platform was crowded and we let two trains go past because they were packed. The third train was also over-full but Julie and Martin pushed their way on, and Andrea pulled my arm and said "Let's go for it". We were all squashed together, and when the doors closed I was pushed up against Andrea. Her hand was holding one of the metal side rails, and as the train moved I saw Martin put his hand half on top of hers. There was no need for this intimacy as no-one else was holding that particular rail. Because of the way we were positioned Julie would not have seen this. Both Martin and Andrea had absolutely impassive faces, looking into the distance, but effectively holding hands.
Friday
Although the garden gave the appearance of full summer (strong sunshine from a clear blue sky, the air suffused with the scent of philodelphus, the pink and white Bowl of Beauty paeonies looking sensational) a steady arctic breeze blew from the north, making the temperature unbearably cold. It was as if the whole landscape was air-conditioned, with the control turned well down. This freezing feel to summer was fascinatingly surreal, but I could only stand it for a few minutes and was glad to get into my car and put the heating on.
An air of crisis at the office this morning, as Julie had had her second-hand Mercedes C class sports coupe stolen last night after only three days in her possession. She broke into tears several times during the morning and made incessant calls to her friends to tell them the bad news. It was as if she had suffered a bereavement.
Because "we all need cheering up" Yvette produced a bottle of champagne she had in her office and we all had glasses of champagne mixed with creme de cassis (which tasted disgusting).
I left at 4pm because I wanted to get back in time for the football.
Saturday, June 19, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment