Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Jonathan Ross



I'm not sure what to make of the departure of Jonathan Ross from the BBC. He was a moderately funny interviewer, but not (in my opinion) worth the millions that he was being paid. I don't really see that his talent is all that unique.

Also, the BBC seems to be a bit slow in bringing forward new entertainers.

For instance, football (soccer) players are highly paid, but they don't hang around for several decades so that everyone gets bored with them. Also there is a working and on-going process whereby younger players are constantly being brought forward and challenging the established players. You can see this process in Jamie Redknapp's current series on Sky 1 Football's Next Star (I could only watch one episode - it consisted of sobbing seventeen-year-olds realising they have failed while Sky pokes a camera in their face and asks them how they feel).

The BBC could make any moderately-talented entertainer a success simply by putting them on television every week - repetition builds reputation.

No comments: