I got this leaflet from Tescos promoting "fresh food in season". But when I went to the store there was nothing on offer apart from the usual stuff transported round the world. Anyway, three items seems tokanism to me.
Also I have noticed on the Tescos deliveries we get that they always substitute at least three items, and these substitutions are always (absolutely always) more expensive than my original selections. It doesn't make much difference to the overall bill, but if it is a covert marketing stategy applied to all deliveries then will boost sales by significant percentage points. Or am I being too cynical?
I wish we had anti-trust legislation that would break up the big four supermarket chains and impose a limit on the number of outlets they can have. Imagine the positive impact that would have on boosting small family shops, regenerating town centres, and providing employment opportunities (smaller shops have higher rates of employment). Plus Tescos is a nasty organisation (for reasons I can't really reveal) and their managers are predatory and exploitative (in my experience).
I would be glad to see the back of them - these mega organisations are not good for society.
1 comment:
I agree completely. Over here the names are different but the effect the same.
Have you ever read Heathcote Williams' poem about Tescos that begins 'The people who run Tescos must be Buddhists. There is nothing in there that you could possibly want'?
Post a Comment