Above: one of the farmers in a neighbouring village has a moat - it is actually quite expensive to keep up and causes them a lot of worry.
Overwhelmed with work, I have been averaging less than five hours sleep per night for the past three weeks. I have had to let this and my other websites languish. I am so tired I have started experiencing "aura attacks" (flashing lights in my vision) which are supposed to predict migraine attacks, although thankfully the headaches when they come are very mild.
I have, however, been keeping up with the Great Expenses Scandal (I feel the capitalisation is justified) and recording my impressions of the unfolding disaster / tragedy / farce / debacle / nemesis / götterdämmerung.
There have been suspensions from the Labour party. A Cabinet minister has resigned. David Cameron has threatened his parliamentary party.
Today The Speaker of the House of Commons announced he was standing down (an unprecedented development).
Today also Douglas Hogg MP (at the centre of the moat-cleaning row) announced he was standing down (as a taxpayer I am fairly neutral about moat cleaning, but I do not want to pay for trouser presses and silken cushions).
If I had time I would like to do an analysis of what the expenses claims reveals collectively about the style of the British political class (le goût Westminster in a homage to le goût Rothschild "a suffocatingly glamorous style of living whose decorative elements include neo-Renaissance palaces, extravagant use of velvet and gilding, a sense of Victorian horror vacui, and masterworks of art").
But there is never any time.
No comments:
Post a Comment