Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Confusion at BillStickers in Greek Street



Above: the former BillStickers in Greek Street.

Respondent: aged 45, female, professional (legal executive):

Sundays I almost always went to Confusion at BillStickers in Greek Street. I walk past it now and it’s just offices. I can’t begin to tell you what that place meant to me.

I met the love of my life there, and I was offered two really really good jobs through people I met there, and I generally had a good time…

What I really liked about it was the place was small, so you knew everyone at least by sight. Especially if you went there every week. It was a reliable party every Sunday.

I never felt threatened there, if you know what I mean. I could go there even on my own, which I did a couple of times, and be sure of a friendly welcome and knowing that people would talk to you and be nice. For a single girl in her early twenties that was a big deal then.

London has changed so much I don’t recognise the place. People are much ruder now and everyone has this anger in them. It wasn’t like that twenty years ago.

The thing I liked most? Was the way people looked. They looked devastating… (respondent laughs, and after further questioning respondent becomes candid) …well I’ll tell you the truth, I looked pretty devastating in those days. Not that I knew at the time. It was only years afterwards when I looked at photos of myself, and I could see myself properly. At the time I was too insecure and self-critical.

Mind you, the music was never up to much. The sound system was all wrong. You danced in spite of the music not because of it.

No comments: