Wednesday, May 07, 2008

T.M. Lewin



The branch of T.M. Lewin in Victoria where I buy my shirts (usually five or six at the start of the year). I only wear white shirts, and have done so since 1995 (it makes life a lot easier). In 1904 T.M. Lewin invented the shirt that buttoned up the front, which they marketed with the usp: you don’t have to brush your hair after putting it on (this was in the Edwardian period when you would change your shirt several times a day).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what happened in 1995? and why is life easier with just white shirts? are you ever tempted to just go mad with a pale pink or duck egg blue?
the village maypole cakes and ale day reminded me of just such a village affair I stumbled upon years ago...pure and simple with no airs or graces and just wonderful.....

a from l said...

Deirdre, I am very glad to have missed out on that period about five or six years ago when everyone was wearing black shirts as if they were followers of Mussolini. And who can forget Tony Blair when he gave one of his "passionate" speeches in a dark blue shirt and became all sweaty so the sweat stains showed as big wet patches (ugh).