Above: the west tower was clearly Saxon.
I was up early today, and when I went outside felt the cold morning air combined with the warm morning sun.
Trinity Sunday so I went to Holy Trinity church in a village in the north of the county, situated between two adjacent coastal towns so that the overspill of each has merged into a thin suburbia, almost negating any character the village once had.
There was an ulterior motive for my going to this particular church as I had heard that every Trinity Sunday (the patronal festival) “rush bearing” took place, and I was hoping to get some photographs (rush bearing is an elaborate medieval custom where the floor of the church is ritually strewn with rushes and hay - a 14th century benefactor actually left a field to the church so that a supply of rushes could be guaranteed, although subsequently the field was sold).
I arrived at the church, which had two towers, one of them being clearly Saxon. I only managed to get there a few minutes before the service started, so there wasn’t time to look around. Entering the building I asked the lady giving out the hymn books whether the rush bearing ceremony would take place.
“Is it that Sunday again?” she said. “We used to, but we’ve got a new vicar. He says it’s not his thing.”
I took the service book and hymn book and service sheet (with the collects) and sat on the right side of the nave, four rows from the front. The church was cruciform in shape, the crossing with transepts either side making it look bigger than it was. The arches were Norman, and looked heavily restored.
About sixty people were present. There was a crèche in the south aisle (children’s cries throughout the service). The congregation itself was quite noisy, talking and walking about.
The procession came in from the right led by the Verger in a black gown and carrying a ceremonial stick (known as a virge - in the past this rod would be used offensively against anyone showing disrespect to the Anglican Church). Then the processional cross, a small choir of four women, and the Priest in white surplice with green silk stole. They went into the chancel which was lit up with candles and decorated with big displays of flowers (these were from a wedding held yesterday, according to the two women sitting in the row behind).
A lady from the congregation went up to the lectern and gave out the notices, and then said all visitors were very welcome (she said this twice, looking straight at me). Banns were read for three couples. Then the hymn Holy Holy Holy, Lord God Almighty.
The first Reading was given by a lady aged about sixty who rose from her seat at the front and with the aid of crutches slowly (and possibly painfully) made her way to the lectern. Another lady helped her surmount the crossing step. Once at the lectern she said the Reading in a high thin voice: He gives power to the faint, and strengthens the powerless…
There was no pulpit - the vicar gave his sermon from the reading desk. He used Rublev’s icon to demonstrate the Trinity. He talked about the doctrine of the Trinity (I was reminded of seminars and tutorials with Professor Riley-Smith discussing the filioque clause and the schism of 1054).
Very impressed with the silver used in the Holy Communion - an elegant flagon, paten and two chalices (also a big silver platter, about eighteen inches in diameter, used for the collection). I couldn’t stop looking at this silver, it was so beautiful. We took Communion at the altar under the crossing and did this standing up instead of kneeling (just as well, as the crossing step looked hard).
After the service teas and coffees were served at a makeshift table at the back. I talked for a few minutes to the Vicar’s wife. Driving home I felt a little disappointed to have missed the rush bearing (this happens so often - traditions carry on for centuries and then just disappear).
More on the filioque clause: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filioque_clause
This was the sort of thing I was hoping to see: http://www.visitcumbria.com/amb/grasmere-70714j.jpg and http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/3427835.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=D278A15CF533E62C787BA374C2C7EF2CA55A1E4F32AD3138
1 comment:
Browsing another blog http://paulashouseoftoast.blogspot.com/2008/05/perichoresis.html
I came across the term Perichoresis which made me think back to you mention of Felioque. Not being theologically literate, I was interested in the connection and went on to read up on the Trinity debates. Every day something new comes to one's door on here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perichoresis
Post a Comment