Tuesday, March 04, 2008

What will happen next?

I don’t often talk about other blogs, mainly because it would be too easy - I want the content of this site to be as original as possible.

But to break my self-imposed rule, I am now going to mention a Chinese photoblog I have “discovered”.

I like photoblogs as they allow you to see directly into other societies. At one time I was trying to collect a photoblog from every country in the world, but I had to give this up because so many blogs stop after a few months. No doubt as soon as I mention that Ou Ning’s site is worth looking at it will disappear into the ether.

Anyway, the address is:

http://www.alternativearchive.com/ouning/

Recent photos include:

Three people sit at a table on a concrete balcony. In the background, across a wide river, is a city of pastel-grey towers. Their plates are empty, and they seem to be sitting very still in the cold air.

An audience (actually a sprinkling of people) pay attention to a trio of experts. How many times have I sat in just such an audience. The opalescent light seems about to break through the windows and flood the room.

A standing figure looks over the shoulder of someone in an architectural practice. A very dark grey colour (clothes, computers, shelving etc) alternates with the off-white of the walls, rolled drawings, papers. The faces shine with reflected light from the on-screen designs.

But my favourite (so far) is:

http://www.alternativearchive.com/ouning/uploads/200802/13_172709_.jpg

Who are these people sitting on orange chairs, in what appears to be a college of some kind? And why is the central figure so confident and happy? And what will happen next?

No comments: