Anyway, as a postscript to Easter, here are some attributes that I thought I would record as they may not be around much longer (or their cultural significance will become so diluted they will lose all meaning):

Above: Hot Cross Buns. Formerly only available on Good Friday. Now every supermarket sells them every day of the year.

Above: Chocolate Easter eggs. As I have eleven nephews and nieces I tend to bulk-buy these, and there is always one left over that keep for myself. But Cadbury’s mini-eggs have been on sale year-round for some time now, and no longer feel “special” or associated with Easter.

Above: Simnel cake. Almost gone now, although there were recipes in both the Guardian and the Daily (Sunday?) Telegraph. In the past my sister (who died of cancer in 2006) would make the family Simnel cake, now I bought this one in Asda and it was a bit dry (I could have bought one in Shepherd’s the bakers, but they only make so many and when they are gone they are gone).

Above: Easter biscuits. Havn’t been able to find these for some years. To remind myself they actually once existed I looked them up in one of our old cookery books although I would not attempt to make them (were they last made by my mother or grandmother?).

Above: Then I happened to be in Marks & Spencer and saw these Easter biscuits (and purchased them). They are exactly the same as the ones in the old cookery book, which makes me wonder if, like the Coelacanth fish, they have always been available and I have been too blind to notice them. “This is not just Easter food, this is M&S Easter food” as the television commercial goes.
More on the Coelacanth fish: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coelacanth
No comments:
Post a Comment