Wednesday, November 03, 2004

You have been warned (in capitals)

Posted by Hello

A drive across to the east coast, to a little-known stretch of coastline where the land just peters out into tidal marshes. In summer this is solid ground, so that you can walk down onto the marsh and follow paths and tracks that go out miles onto the former sea bed. But most of the year it is saltwater marshes, covered by sea at high tide.

It is a lonely, desolate, but very beautiful landscape. I like to walk along the sea bank, the seabirds calling, the wind blowing, the clouds moving across the sky. Very occasionally I go down onto the marsh itself.

I like this stark sign, up on the sea wall, guarding the access point to the marsh. It tells us, in prophetic language: you have been warned (in capitals). In many ways it is finisterre, the end of the earth.

No comments: