Thursday, November 18, 2004

Something was wrong

Posted by Hello
Corner of the wet carpark at lunchtime


Cold, steady, persistent rain that started about ten o’clock this morning. Thank goodness it was dry earlier when I took the dog for a walk (7 am). Normally we go for a short walk along the lane, and then return to the house where I have a cup of tea and some biscuits and then go to work. The dog always has one of his biscuits (mixed ovals in a dish on the floor in the kitchen – he could have a saucer of tea if he wanted it) and then goes to bed where he stays until my brother gets back from work at 4.30.

This morning however, the dog must have sensed something was wrong. Because the cat is at the vet for the next few days, having a small operation, the dog was left in the house alone. He watched me put on my coat, and followed me through the two kitchens (the Inner Kitchen and the Outer Kitchen) where he stood at a little distance as I went out the door. As I walked round the corner and along the front of the house (which actually faces away from the road – the road came after the house) I heard the dog howling mournfully, something he has never previously done. I briefly considered going back to quieten him, but there was too little time. And later I realised he has never been completely on his own before.

2 comments:

M said...

I guess it will take some time for the dog to get used to it. How is the dog doing now?

a from l said...

Thanks for asking Manjusha. The dog's fine, but unfortunately the cat has only been given 12 months to live (maximum) as he has developed a heart condition and is on three different sorts of pills.