Saturday, April 21, 2012

Always I have the feeling I am trailing behind deadlines - the past week at work

Monday

My PC crashed this morning so that I had to ask IT officer John Johnson to fix it.  He chatted amiably while he worked ("I used to be an assistant professional golfer... didn't get paid much, just fifty-five pounds a week for long hours... used to work in a Ford showroom...").  His conversational manner switches oddly between great confidence and hesitant nervousness.  His fingernails bitten down to the quick.  Wearing a polo shirt and chinos (because he crawls around fixing things he is excused from wearing a formal shirt and tie).  Faint scent.

Although I had allocated most of the day to write the copy for a new publication, most of my time was taken up organising photography for the illustrations.

I also had to liaise with Deputy Director Lois Cooper and Development Manager Tim Watts.  As usual, it took a great deal of effort to ensure they did things properly.  Lois Cooper complaining of stomach pains.

I stayed until 8pm writing and redrafting copy.

Tuesday

Another day spent writing copy.  I am dependent on Tim Watts supplying me with the research properly interpreted, and this he is very slow in doing.  I found myself getting irritated at his failure to deliver things on time.

Again I worked until 8pm, Lois Cooper also working late.  She said that Accounts Manager Marcia Walsh had once complained to Director Vijay Singh about Campaign Manager Keith Chandler's involvement with the freemasons.  Vijay Singh had told her off (implying he was also a mason).
 
Wednesday

"Have you prepared" Vijay Singh asked me just before the planning meeting began.  Actually I had done no preparation and had to hurriedly gather papers together.  As well as Keith Chandler and Vijay Singh, Alec Nussbaum attended representing our "sister organisation" and Peter Whitgift was there from the tiny Birmingham office.  The meeting went well.  It was my turn to be in the chair, and I worked through the agenda.  Alec Nussbaum talked the most.

Lunch was brought in - rolls and pastries and orange juice.

After lunch a long discussion about the new database to be set up and the literature that needs to be prepared.

The meeting lasted five hours.  Afterwards I returned to my desk where the new publication still had to be worked on.  Gradually it is getting done, but always I have the feeling I am trailing behind deadlines.

Once again I worked until 8pm, Vijay Singh and Lois Cooper also staying late and helping with the publication.

Thursday

Today I reached the point with the new publication when I knew it would all be done on time.

And at last the photography has been done to everyone's satisfaction.

Vijay Singh complimented me on chairing the meeting yesterday:  "We did well, we achieved all our objectives."  This mystified me, as I had not been aware that we had been following any covert agenda.  I suppose anything that keeps Alec Nussbaum happy must be considered an achievement.

Office Manager Bridget O'Farrell, who has been away on maternity leave, brought her four-day-old baby into the office.  "His name is Niall" she told us.  "After the River Nile?" quipped Vijay Singh.

I worked until 8.30 pm, helped by Lois Cooper.

Friday

I had intended to make progress with the publication today, but a long three-hour meeting intervened, combined with demands for case studies from our "sister organisation".

No comments: