Monday
In the morning I wrote a press release and then chased progress of a brochure.
It always surprises me when something I have written has a measurable effect on the behaviour of people. It is as if I have a power I do not properly understand. To me it is just writing.
In the afternoon the Institute's Director, Vijay Singh, carried out a surprise review of all purchasing decisions I have made since joining the organisation. I suppose he was checking for any illicit activity (supplier favouritism, lack of competitive quotes, hints of kickbacks etc). He found nothing.
Tuesday
At my desk I was silently appalled at the magnitude of some of the projects I have been given. The Institute certainly does not lack ambition. I sent some sharply-worded e-mails to various people complaining about the delays they are causing.
Late morning a meeting with Vijay Singh and Deputy Director Lois Cooper, going through a new policy process line by line.
In the afternoon I was asked into a meeting with Vijay Singh and Campaign Manager Keith Chandler. Everyone complains about the number of meetings we have to endure, but progress is not really possible without them. Keith Chandler was very defensive throughout this meeting and just agreed to whatever Vijay Singh said.
Wednesday
The morning spent preparing a new leaflet - writing the copy and sourcing the illustrations.
In the afternoon a review with Vijay Singh of communications. I was as critical of Keith Chandler as I felt I could be without sounding as if I were playing office politics. Vijay Singh's chubby face appeared quietly satisfied, as if I were giving him ammunition he intended to use.
Almost all the afternoon spent fruitlessly searching for the "right" photograph for a brochure.
The working day ended with a discussion with Vijay Singh about the visit of the Media Relations team from our "sister organisation" - he was contemptuous about them and said they could offer us nothing, but we would have to tolerate their interventions.
Thursday
I found myself becoming annoyed this morning, mainly because I have so much to do and have to rely on people who are either lazy or obstructive.
As I suspected, a photograph the Institute had commissioned proved to be totally unusable. I had to ask the photographer to do it again. More delays.
The Media Relations deputation arrived - two people. I arranged tea for them which we had sitting on the easy chairs in the Reception area, and then gave them a guided tour of the building. In the ground floor Library assistant librarian Matthew showed us round while assistant librarian Gary said "yeah, yeah" at meaningless intervals.
Then into a meeting with Vijay Singh in which the two Media Relations people gave us the benefit of their advice for an hour and a half.
I think everyone was relieved when the taxi arrived to take them back to the station.
Friday
Arriving at my desk I scanned in lots of paper that is related to a new project. Creating electronic versions somehow seemed to tame the information and made it easier to organise. Using the scanner also seemed to be mildly therapeutic.
Late afternoon I interviewed an "opinion former" (he came into the office, which was a rare concession given our incognito status).
Bridget O'Farrell's last day before going off on maternity leave. I talked to her about her early life in Sligo and how poor her family had been. She produced a tray of cream cakes to give to everyone, and was given a card signed by all of us.
No comments:
Post a Comment