Sunday, December 11, 2011

Odd sort of situation - the past week at work

Monday

I had spent the weekend putting my URGENT folder into order so that when I arrived at the office this morning I felt in control.  Although I am leaving at the end of next week there is still a major conference to organise, plus several projects to hand-over.  It was a busy day with lots of interruptions (which made me feel irritable).

In the afternoon I took the whole Communications team (including the eight Information Officers) up to the Board Room where we spent three hours going through every detail of the conference on Thursday.

Tuesday

Incoherent meeting with Operations director Ryan M. 

More conference planning.

Wednesday

Odd sort of situation today.  I have lots to do, but because I am waiting for others to respond I can't get on with any of it.  I met with my boss Tom D and "handed over" various projects - he tried to resist but I was insistent.

I completed various evaluation reports, and was lavish in my praise of others.

In the afternoon a meeting with a small external team that has lost its funding and now has to raise money from commercial sponsors.  They wanted my advice on how to go about this.  I was as sympathetic as I could be, but I can't see any way they will be able to raise the money they need.

Thursday

Day of the social leaders' conference.  I was at the office by 7.30, where all the Communications team were gathered.  In four cars we drove to the Conference venue, a large hotel in a small town north of London.

I was surprised at how smoothly things ran.  The hotel's conference staff did most of the work, allowing us to just walk around checking everything was in place.  The Chairman of the conference (a leading academic) arrived, and also a former television presenter hired to run the Questions session.

Then all of the Communications team ran the conference reception desk, checking people as they arrived and giving them badges and directions to the coffee room.  I had been keen for my team to do this task as it looked as if we were in charge of the whole event.  There had been a lot of criticism in the NGO that a conference of this kind so close to Christmas would not be well attended, but actually the hall was full with about 350 attendees (all "leaders of society" in various capacities). 

By the time the lunch (a big formal meal with toasts) was over it was clear that the conference had been an outstanding success. 

In the afternoon the attendees went into various different workshops.  By this point there was little for the Communications team to do, so I told most of them to go home.  Because of the early start I was beginning to feel tired, and I slipped away at 5, leaving PR Officer Josie S in charge of the clear-up (with instructions to ring me if any problems arose).

Friday

A meeting with my boss Tom D.  I was amazed at how jovial he was, and this immediately made me feel suspicious.  It is like dealing with a madman.

No comments: