Sunday, December 04, 2011

Ancient Monuments Society

Still don't feel entirely well, so after lunch I sat in front of the fire all afternoon and watched the last hour and a half of Fox & Friends, then read the Observer (Dalya Alberge on the latest discoveries at Flag Fen) and then looked through the new Newsletter of the Ancient Monuments Society.

Points of interest in the AMS:



















Kenwood House (where you can see Vermeer's The Guitar Player) has received a restoration grant of £3.4 million.

An appeal has been launched to buy the house and studio of Victorian painter GF Watts.

Wrest Park in Bedfordshire is now open to the public - it opened in August so not sure how I missed that (Wrest Park features in Lily Allen's video The Fear, festooned with balloons).















Tredegar House (where I got locked in the garden after closing time and had to climb over the wall) has now been taken over by the National Trust.

Casts of the Elgin Marbles have been incorporated into the athletes' accommodation in the new Olympic Village.

The British Archaeological Association has published Coventry: Medieval Art, Architecture and Archaeology.  The destroyed city of Coventry fascinates me.  I don't understand why more effort isn't being put into its restoration.

Also some advance notice of the Pugin 2012 celebrations.

No comments: