Saturday, February 05, 2011

The medication I am taking makes me sleepy - the past week

Monday

Usual long list of e-mails when I got to my desk and opened up my PC. The first hour of the day disappears dealing with these e-mails. I was called into a meeting being held in CEO Alan Pressberg's office on whether we should produce a digital annual report this year (I advised sticking to a hard copy, as people are more likely to read something they can hold in their hands).

Late morning my deputy, Meryl P, asked to see me privately. She showed me her appraisal from our boss Tom D. It was a terrible assessment of her ("He's damning me with faint praise").

Although Meryl has often be difficult I resisted the temptation to stir things up, and said I would talk to Tom about the appraisal.

We sat talking for a while, and she showed me a graph of how much floor space is required by each grade of the staff in the NGO.

"Why do senior executive officers get so much?" I asked.

"Because they're fatter" she said.

In the afternoon I began to feel ill (aching all over), and eventually went home.

Tuesday

Guilty about not going to work today. I suppose I am influenced by the Protestant Work Ethic. I called Meryl to cancel my appointments for the day.

In the afternoon I went to see the doctor and got a lecture about taking my health more seriously.

Wednesday

Again not well enough to go to work. The medication I am taking makes me sleepy. In the afternoon I went upstairs to sleep (laying down on top of the bed) but this was a mistake as when I woke I felt extremely cold.

In the evening a strong wind began blowing around the house and this continued all night.

Thursday

Another day off work, although I am feeling better.

I spent the day reading Freya Stark.

No let up in the wind.

Friday

And still not well. I am fine in the house, but as soon as I go outside I start to feel giddy and tired. Driving is impossible.

All the day the wind blew so that it is starting to depress me.

No comments: