Saturday, February 19, 2011

Complexity and irrelevance - the past week at work

Monday

I was quite lazy this morning, lingering over breakfast and not rushing to get to work on time.

As soon as I arrived at the NGO large piles of work appeared on my desk. I was soon into meetings with the members of the Information Team, discussing the renewal of their contracts. The offices are awash with rumours of cuts to the NGO's budget, and the Information Team seems to be a target.

Complaints about observance of Health & Safety procedures, but I resisted all attempts to involve me.

More work arrived after lunch. "It's a horrible day" I told anyone who would listen. One of the worst aspects is that none of the work seems particularly important (in my opinion) so it is difficult to prioritise.

Near the end of the day my immediate boss, Tom D, casually remarked that he wanted to give an internal presentation early tomorrow. Typical of the inconsiderate way he expects others to fall in with his ill-planned schedule. So much of our time is spent reacting to emergencies that there is never enough time to clear the back-log.

I went home and spent the evening drafting a Powerpoint presentation for Tom D to use tomorrow. It took several hours, but I was pleased with the result. Image music text (as Barthes would say).

Tuesday

Woken this morning not by the alarm clocks but by a loud scuffling noise just outside my window. Pulling aside one of the curtains I saw two very smart magpies sitting on the ledge. They flew down to the lawn and hopped about.

Breakfast of tinned grapefruit and oranges, listening to Beethoven's Ninth (normally I have the Today programme on).

I arrived at the office psyched-up ready for the presentation, which is about the NGO's future. We went up to the Board Room where all the NGO staff were gathered. Tom D's delivery of the Powerpoint presentation was reasonably good.

Ryan M, Director of the Operational team, walked out half-way through, his petulant departure resembling a Premier player sent off the field.

A working lunch in Tom's office, Felix S (research manager) also attending. Lots of food - bread rolls, samosas, cake. We discussed a training event for the marketing team, although it is difficult to see how this would be approved in the current climate of cuts.

Marketing junior Leo announced that he would be leaving at the end of the summer to go to university. His friend Carl (junior in the HR department) has expressed an interest in taking the job. I am indifferent to the prospect, he could hardly be as difficult to manage as Leo.

I have to fill in an evaluation form for my job along with all the other employees of the NGO, despite being on a fixed term assured contract.

A meeting with Bonar B, the Finance Director. During the course of the conversation he expressed open contempt for Tom D. Although I agreed with his views I was careful not to say anything disloyal.

Wednesday

Heaps and heaps of paperwork on my desk, paralysing in its complexity and irrelevance. Also more of the staff contracts to oversee. Muttering among the Information team about their future (they are hearing rumours that they are all to be made redundant, but I have not heard this).

A small seminar run by the marketing department, part of the "schmoozing" campaign to prove to the Department that we are worth funding. I gave the opening address then handed over to my deputy Meryl. Leo was so helpful with this seminar (booking in the attendees, getting them cups of tea, setting out the lunches) that I gave him the afternoon off.

As the afternoon advanced I began to get feedback that the seminar had been a great success.

Later Caleb, a Baptist minister and "friend" of the NGO, told me: "You've been able to handle the prima donnas here in a way that has surprised people."

Thursday

Attended a funeral.

Friday

Yesterday affected me more than I expected. Although I forced myself to go to work I felt withdrawn and depressed. Drab misty cold weather.

In the morning Meryl and myself went to a meeting at a college in a university about forty miles away. The meeting was held in the Fellows Room - antique furniture in a room constructed of raw concrete. When the biscuits were passed around Caleb took a heap and munched them continuously as we talked through the agenda.

After the meeting the college gave us lunch - steak chasseur, a good Burgundy, fresh fruit salad. The President of the college joined us, wearing very shabby clothes (great deference was shown towards her). We talked about the twentieth-century paintings by women that the college is collecting.

Early afternoon when we got back to the office. Almost everyone else had gone home early. Meryl and I worked until 4 then went home ourselves.

No comments: