Monday
Over the weekend I had worked on the Marketing Plan for the NGO. This despite my resolution never to take work home. I have to be careful over the details of the Plan as it will be presented by my boss, Director Tom D, at the Executive Board Weekend.
When I got to the office I was surprised to see my deputy Meryl P at her desk. I had thought she was on holiday this week. She was still not doing any work (and did no real work of any kind all day) but talked at length about the UNISON Women's Conference in February.
Tom D away all week, which was a relief, since I knew nothing would be added to my workload.
I had been booked to go on a two-day training course in London, but unilaterally I decided to cancel it ("this is my first act of defiance" I said to Carmel, Special Projects manager).
In the afternoon I was asked at short notice to give a talk on marketing to a gathering upstairs of twenty consultants.
Tuesday
A lot of the NGO's work involves liaising with public sector organisations - often difficult people to work with.
Meryl P spent the whole day on trade union work - I just let her get on with it.
A meeting with colleague Felix S who is so long-winded that a huge amount of time was spent discussing a very small aspect of his research findings.
A lot of the day spent preparing for the Special Projects launch.
Wednesday
Hectic day. A rep arrived from a specialist telemarketing company we are going to use to ensure a good audience for the Special Projects launch. A lot of the morning spent with the Special Projects team going over the script that will be used by the telemarketers (because of the confidential nature of Special Projects there is a very limited amount of information we can give away).
Then a meeting about a directory the NGO is to produce.
Then a meeting with two idiots from the Health & Safety Executive (nothing to do with marketing but I think I was delegated to meet them because no-one else wanted to).
The HSE meeting was interrupted by an agitated Carmel, her desiccated face contorted with angst. The printed invitations for the Special Projects launch had been delivered with half of the NGO's logo missing. I had to break off the meeting and complain to the printing company, insisting on a reprint free of charge.
At the end of the day I gave a short radio interview. I talked for about fifteen minutes and when I listened to the broadcast later they only used one line of it. Normally Tom D would do these interviews.
Thursday
The reprinted Special Projects invitations were on my desk when I arrived this morning.
Another meeting about the Special Projects launch. I made sure Meryl P attended the meeting and was given tasks to carry out. If she fails to do this work it will be very serious (not least because Carmel will be involved, and she is someone who shouts her head off to get her own way).
Lunch with Felix in the George III pub (low beams and an open fire). He talked mostly about office politics. He told me he mistrusts the private sector.
I left early to go into London.
Friday
Most of the day with Carmel looking at potential venues for the Special Projects launch. Nothing seemed to be suitable. Aged about 55 Carmel is thin, loud and extrovert. Heavily lined face with fake tan and bright red lipstick. Her hair dyed a deep red colour. We visited six venues and she turned them all down (luckily because of the "confidential" nature of the launch we didn't need to print the venue on the invitations).
Saturday, December 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment