
For the last few weeks I have been trying to get a photograph of an XR2 (for Kim Blacha's book The 1980s - a search for the romantic decade). You would think this would be fairly straightforward but all the XR2s in the world seem to have disappeared. I have given up actively looking for the car now, and am relying on stumbling across one by accident.
Anyway, in my trawls around vintage car shows I came across the above Triumph Herald. It was a Proustian moment, as it reminded me of the Triumph Herald we had in an old shed when I was small. No-one could remember when the car had last been driven - it had just been abandoned one day in the early 1970s and left (replaced by a newer car). We had (still have) lots of sheds full of old junk. My brother and I used to play at driving in the car, and it was always understood (so we thought) that it was "our" car. Then our eldest brother put a new engine in the car, and restored it completely. He drove it around for a couple of months.
Then he sold it.
No comments:
Post a Comment