Monday
Marc Baxter (Creative Director) held a review of my work which lasted about an hour. He said he was bemused by my writing and said I interchange from an austere formal style to vernacular then back again. I considered challenging him, but decided not to take him seriously (his own writing style is not beyond criticism, and when talking he has a habit of putting “ette” on the ends of words - “problemette”, “lunchette”, “recessionette”).
Junior Account Exec Jo came into the writers’ room. With her blonde hair and big blue eyes she attracts towards her all the attention in the room. She came in to ask my opinion about a full stop.
Marc asked me to write some web copy “articles” for a car client, and I was able t o knock them out quite quickly.
Later Marc told me that I would be working more with one of the account teams. This was welcome news as I find solid copywriting all day a bit of a bore. He wouldn’t tell me who I would be working with.
Tuesday
Doug showed me photos of his baby son.
I worked on some copy for Jack Lawson – he very rarely asks me to do anything. It was a small job, and I finished it within an hour. When Jack came back he complained about all the coverage of the American elections:
“I’m not interested in Obama’s audacity or Mrs Palin’s lipstick. We have enough gobshite politicians of our own without having theirs shoved in our face. I think we need a long rest from American foreign policy.”
Later Managing Director Terry feigned indignation when Marc showed him artwork that was off-brief. He then asked Marc what was wrong with it. Although Terry is outwardly quite belligerent, Marc is able to manipulate him quite effectively.
Wednesday
Two briefings – one from Senior Account Executive Nicola, the other from new Senior Account Executive Andrea (she comes to me now instead of trainee Copywriter Claire).
John (white hair, old friend of Terry’s, handles a small number of clients) came in to show me some copy he had written. I suppose he was looking for compliments. It was appalling, but I pretended I liked it.
Thursday
On the train I began reading Last Summer by Boris Pasternak.
Friday
Claire argued with Junior Account Executive Alex when he refused to sign her Amnesty International petition.
Briefing from Lynn in the morning on some brochure copy, and the work took up the rest of the day.
Later I heard more about the reorganisation. I am to work on a new team with Senior Account Executive Andrea and a new Account Director who is to start in a couple of weeks. So my short spell as a “creative” comes to an end.
Saturday, September 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment