The result is a 50 page report containing twenty thousand words. The client is amazed at what I have found out about their customers, and has already described the report as “monumental”. The critics in my office, who were complaining about how long I was taking, have been silenced (thank goodness).
Today I have had a day off to recover.
Working at home has an odd feel to it. While it is comfortable, it is also quite lonely. When I needed a break I would take the dog along the lane for ten minutes, the sun shining, the quiet landscape empty of human life.
While I worked (at the table in the dining room) I had Andrew Neil on the television in the long Sitting Room next door, reporting from the Labour Party Conference. I also would stop in the evening to watch Newsnight (again focused upon the Labour Party Conference). The (unofficial) theme of the conference was the survival of Gordon Brown.
Working at home has an odd feel to it. While it is comfortable, it is also quite lonely. When I needed a break I would take the dog along the lane for ten minutes, the sun shining, the quiet landscape empty of human life.
While I worked (at the table in the dining room) I had Andrew Neil on the television in the long Sitting Room next door, reporting from the Labour Party Conference. I also would stop in the evening to watch Newsnight (again focused upon the Labour Party Conference). The (unofficial) theme of the conference was the survival of Gordon Brown.
Foreign Secretary David Miliband was overheard comparing himself to Michael Heseltine (infamous for his overweening ambition in the 1980s). This gaff was supposed to have dampened down his leadership challenge against “Gordon”. Andrew Neil interviewed a succession of Cabinet ministers (including Culture Secretary Burnham), all of them proclaiming loyalty and unity.
I listened to Gordon Brown speech and thought it was good. I quite like him as a person, although his government is another matter. “Gordon” attacked the “novices” who were after his job (David Miliband and David Cameron).
I also quite like David Cameron as a person. He is an interesting person and not at all the lightweight he is accused of being. He has the ability to inspire people to hope for the future, which is a quality that will be needed in the difficult years ahead (consider the way he has taken a failing "nasty" party of three-time losers and led them to the brink of government).
I listened to Gordon Brown speech and thought it was good. I quite like him as a person, although his government is another matter. “Gordon” attacked the “novices” who were after his job (David Miliband and David Cameron).
I also quite like David Cameron as a person. He is an interesting person and not at all the lightweight he is accused of being. He has the ability to inspire people to hope for the future, which is a quality that will be needed in the difficult years ahead (consider the way he has taken a failing "nasty" party of three-time losers and led them to the brink of government).
Above: The reference to David Miliband’s “Heseltine moment” made me think of this “time-capsule” sealed into a wall along Millbank (and mutilated by passers-by). What would happen if we were to open this time-capsule? There would be an escape of foetid 1980s air, perhaps reeking of perfumed hair oil. There would be an unsettling moment as the zipped-up frustrated Heseltine ambitions were suddenly released. And then (so I imagine) there would be a loud echoing laugh as the genie of Michael Heseltine rushed out and expanded to giant-size, hovering over Westminster. Whatever a Cameron administration means, Heseltine must stay securely in his box.


No comments:
Post a Comment