Saturday, August 23, 2008

Overheard on the train

Going home early (it is bank holiday weekend) I was squashed into a seat that had no window. There was so much noise I couldn’t read. In the seats behind me was a couple talking – from their voices I guessed they were recently retired, although I never actually got to see them.

They had been in London for the day and had gone to a restaurant for lunch.

Man: “We had a very good meal.”

Woman: “I’m still bloated though. I like to try different kinds of food but I can’t eat like I used to. I shouldn’t have eaten so much.”

Man: “You did like it though?”

Woman: “I’m too bloated. I feel really uncomfortable. I don’t think I’ve ever been so bloated.”

Man: “What about that fish you had in Corfu?”

Woman: “Oh yeah! I became enormous. I’d forgotten about that!”

Man: “You were bad in Cofu.”

Woman: “I felt like those cattle in that Paul Newman film. Hud. Where the cattle all blow up like massive balloons and have to be shot.”

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bet they made you smile....have a lovely bank holiday weekend.

a from l said...

Thank you Deirdre.

Laia said...

What a conversation. There are scriptwriters that need hours of inspiration to write things like that.

a from l said...

It's all available free on any railway journey Iaia. Elizabeth Bowen noticed the tendency of British women to talk about their insides.