Wednesday, February 21, 2007

I felt like I was seeing an old friend again



Abstract sculpture called “Piscator” by Eduardo Paolozzi. It stands at the front of Euston Station. At one time in my life I used to pass it every day (and hated the sight of it). Then my job changed and I forgot about it. Coming across it the other night, I felt like I was seeing an old friend again. Still don’t know what it’s meant to represent.

The Euston Road has become a minor sculpture park. As well as Piscator there is the Newton statue by Paolozzi in the forecourt of the British Library. Also at the British Library are two Anthony Gormley sculptures of “planets”. There is a towering Thomas Heatherwick sculpture (Bliegiessen) at the Wellcome Institute. Plus the Greek Revival caryatids on New St Pancras church. And if you look carefully there is a statue of Britannia high up on the east side of St Pancras station (on top of a gable).

More on Piscator: http://ftvdb.bfi.org.uk/sift/title/124948

2 comments:

J.O. said...

About this blog; i feel the same way! I love your writing style! (And that sculpture looks like detritus of a bad train wreck, if you ask me)

a from l said...

Thank you Joanne.