As I drove to work this morning I listened to Melvyn Bragg on In Our Time talking about Joseph Conrad’s novel Heart Of Darkness. It was an extremely interesting programme, although I missed the end of it. All the rest of the day I was thinking about the things that were said.
For the last seventeen years of his life Joseph Conrad lived on the outskirts of Luton at Someries Farm. It’s private property but you can see the house from a distance. And you can look around the ruins of Someries Castle nearby (which you will have completely to yourself, since very few people know the ruins are there).
Luton itself is a surprisingly nice town, with an art deco town hall.
Someries castle: http://www.webspinners.org.uk/someriescastle/
Luton Town Hall: http://www.picturesofengland.com/pictures/250/Luton_1119049169.jpg
My favourite Conrad book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Secret-Agent-Simple-Penguin-Classics/dp/0141182628/sr=1-5/qid=1171559643/ref=sr_1_5/026-6750358-5422058?ie=UTF8&s=books
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
In theory these buildings are listed and cannot be touched. But unfortunately the developers have huge amounts of money and most councils are wary of taking them on (in the courts) so they end up doing as they like.
Also the government we have at the moment doesn't value the past.
I might know that you would like Conrad - for the wondrous precision of his English. I did a bibliography of him for one of my Librarianship degree papers and feel I know him pretty well. So this was especially interesting for me, thanks.
Conrad is a superb writer Anna.
luton now has become a nasty place to live, in places the crimes have gone up and so have the deaths around luton. About 5 years ago luton was an ok place to grow up and live, but now the people have changed luton for the worse, i have lived in luton all my life and know a lot of people around luton, quite a few of my freinds have landed there selves in prison. If you want to live in luton be my gest but dont move here if you are lookin for a nice place. Personly i will be moveing from here and i couldent care if they burnt this place down.
Luton's wonderful
Anonymous is quite wrong
And needs a spell check
Post a Comment