Monday, July 17, 2006

A pillar of smoke



Driving across the plain one evening last week, in the distance was this impressive plume of smoke. Obviously the result of a major conflagration. But as I drove towards it the sight seemed to achieve Biblical proportions (“During the day, He was revealed as a pillar of smoke; by night, a pillar of fire” Exodus chapter 13).

Hope this doesn’t seem too “religious”. The phrase just came into my mind as I took the photograph. It’s odd the way things just emerge from the subconscious (and also, the word “smoke” comes from a really obscure 17th century edition of the King James Version – in most editions it’s translated as “cloud”, so I don't know where I picked up the archaic usage).

Now I look at the picture posted on this site, the smoke doesn't seem all that impressive, but actually it was HUGE. You can click on the photo and then click again (in the corner) to enlarge it to its fullest extent. It was a very hot evening, about 6.45 pm.

No comments: