
Equestrian statue of Prince Albert (in a military uniform) at Holborn Circus. The sculptor was Charles Bacon, and the statue was unveiled in 1874. I took the photograph as I was coming out of Hatton Garden.
The granite base of the statue includes allegorical figures of History (exposing her breasts) and Peace (holding palms leaves and a cornucopia).
There is a relief (on the south side of the granite base) of Britannia sitting on the throne of the world, a lion at her feet. She is bestowing laurel crowns on the peoples of the world, who are kneeling before her dressed in national costumes. This relief is a subliminal representation of national self-confidence and patronising condescension at the moment it escalated into imperial arrogance.
4 comments:
Yes, I see what you are saying...I might try to look at a more ancient meaning i those statues or think of them as representing the subliminal practice of "goddess worship" disguised for digestion in use for "dominance boasting" of a society.
Great photos as always, thanks.
Candy
Thanks for commenting Candy.
Well, I visit often ya know, I have you linked to one of my blogs, I ran out of room on my blog, so I put you on my "world peace reading list" page. I am actually looking for Meyers novels you got me interested.
Thanks for the link Candy. Eventually i will work out how to put in a list of links on my site.
Post a Comment