Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Arrest of rapper Snoop Dogg at Heathrow last Thursday














Sometimes an item from the news stays in my mind for days afterwards. I wish I had witnessed the arrest of rapper Snoop Dogg at Heathrow last Thursday. He had been refused entry to the VIP Lounge at the airport (not all his party held valid passes) and tried to force his way through the door.

A huge number of police were involved in dealing with the incident. One onlooker said the police were being thrown around like pillows (they only managed to gain control by using pepper sprays on the group). The news channels reported the confrontation as a mini-riot.

It was a clash of cultures. The laid-back anyone-is-as-good-as-anyone-else attitude of South Central LA meeting the First Class policies of the British Airport Authority. As a brand-building exercise both sides benefit - Snoop Dogg enhanced his reputation for rebelliousness (defiant to authority, loyal to his buddies, refusing to be judged by others); the BAA reinforced their image of exclusivity (even celebrities will be ranked according to behaviour and class).

As a dramatic incident it ought to be recorded on film, possibly as Snoop Dogg’s next video (and directed by Peter Lindbergh).

4 comments:

Candy Minx said...

Look at you bad self getting all marketing hip language "brand-building exercise". Wow fancy.

Yeah, this story sticks in my head too. I bet he will do a video...remember George Michaels was brillaint with his video song "Outside".

a from l said...

Candy, the thing about marketing is that it makes you very cynical. Even people are becoming brands, and the right image is worth a lot of money. Nothing in modern culture seems to be genuine anymore (or perhaps I'm just getting old and pessimistic, or perhaps it's just the cynical way I look at things...).

Candy Minx said...

No I don't think you're cynical...it's weird, i am really into anthropology right, and I also think everything comes down to economy...like we make decisions on who we love where we work wherewe live how we eat based on very ancient internal invisible concepts we have about what things are worth. Its not about money...and its not about consummer is bad...after all we all have to eat and that is the basic consumption, right? But its the level of ethics involved...am I seeing an illusion, I don't think so, part of our survival as an animla is that we have morals and ethics it is one of our devices...so right now we are seeing more and more branding and marketing...I have linked up a few marketing blogs I follow actually because I realized it might be interesting for me to look at the world from their perspective.

No I am anti-corporate, anti-mindless consummerisism...I think people own too much buy and shop too much. Not because of what they Need or desire but like a drug for entertainment rather than a chore or duty to pick up some cool clothes and good food...the shopping is the goal.

I think this kind of consummerism is unbecoming frankl.

I think the obsession with brands and marketing is depressing...and yet I make "products" art work, films...I remember when films became "products" and I was o disgusted even actors were talkign about their product. Yuck, ugly.

So I follow a few trend watcher and marketing blogs. For the most part they seem obsessed with youth and finding the next big thing. ha I wish some of them would channel that into world peace or some radical options for food and survival for people, but what do I knwo.

So I think you are wise to notice thesethings..."creds" or "brands" they have become blended.

Representing,
Candy

a from l said...

Candy I agree with everything you say!