
Patisserie Valerie in Piccadilly. While I waited I had a club sandwich, almond pastry and several cups of tea. The interior is 1950s Belgian-French, modelled on the original branch in Soho (which was opened eighty years ago in 1926). For the West End the prices are quite reasonable. The service was slow, but that suited me as I was in no hurry. I sat on one of the stools at the window bar and meant to read the Evening Standard, but actually all I did was look at the passing people, and the comings and goings at the bicycle rank directly in front of me.
A message on my mobile announced a change of plan, and we decided to meet at the cinema. So then I had to rush. By mistake I got off the tube at Knightsbridge and couldn't work out where to go next (obviously the streets looked confusing as I was meant to get off South Kensington). I went back into the tube station and asked one of the staff if he knew where the cinema was (I regarded this as a very long shot!). He not only gave me complete directions but had seen the film and talked knowledgeably about the actors, the director, other things the director has done. We talked as if we were old friends.
No comments:
Post a Comment