Am I the only person who feels disturbed by the celebratory reporting of the suicide of Jeffrey Spector (complete with happy family snapshots): http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/dignitas-death-of-british-father-jeffrey-spector-prompts-renewed-debate-on-assisted-suicide-10275335.html
Let me ask the Spector family some harsh questions.
Apparently Mr Spector "did not want to become a burden on loved ones". What was it about your various relationships with Jeffrey Spector that convinced him you might regard him as a burden? In what way did the love that you owed him fail to convince him that his life was worthwhile (since love is the only thing that does make life worthwhile).
I understand you are all in grief.
But you surely must realise that this very public event (complete with happy family snapshots) has stirred up all the old pro-death arguments with Lord Falconer up to his death-cult tricks again.
And this will lead to the same pressures that want to change society and bounce us further along the road of death-by-choice (and then death-when-life-is-no-longer-meaningful, and ultimately death-when-others-decide-a-person-is-inconvenient / bed-blocking / no-longer-economically-productive etc).
I do not want society changed.
I intend to defend the society I live in.
Therefore I am pointing the finger at you Mrs Spector and happy smiling Spector children, and I am asking you: why did Jeffrey Spector think he would be a burden?
What did you say, or fail to say, that made him think in this way?
Let me ask the Spector family some harsh questions.
Apparently Mr Spector "did not want to become a burden on loved ones". What was it about your various relationships with Jeffrey Spector that convinced him you might regard him as a burden? In what way did the love that you owed him fail to convince him that his life was worthwhile (since love is the only thing that does make life worthwhile).
I understand you are all in grief.
But you surely must realise that this very public event (complete with happy family snapshots) has stirred up all the old pro-death arguments with Lord Falconer up to his death-cult tricks again.
And this will lead to the same pressures that want to change society and bounce us further along the road of death-by-choice (and then death-when-life-is-no-longer-meaningful, and ultimately death-when-others-decide-a-person-is-inconvenient / bed-blocking / no-longer-economically-productive etc).
I do not want society changed.
I intend to defend the society I live in.
Therefore I am pointing the finger at you Mrs Spector and happy smiling Spector children, and I am asking you: why did Jeffrey Spector think he would be a burden?
What did you say, or fail to say, that made him think in this way?
No comments:
Post a Comment