Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Go First Class















Lovely little brochure promoting First Class on the East Coast main line. 

I am not entirely sure that the offering is matched by the reality (but I don't travel First Class myself except on Eurostar so I am not really qualified to say). 

I like the way in which they have subtly portrayed the main USP of travelling first class ("lack of other people") by putting on the front cover a beautiful landscape entirely empty of people.  This is so clever I am full of admiration.

Inside they list "little extras" that hint at luxury - for instance National Trust cake recipes from the country houses on the East Coast rail line.  On one level this is absurd, as a fruit cake served in miniscule portions is not likely to taste of much, whatever the recipes.  But it is also magnificent in marketing terms, associating railway catering (which does not have a good image) with the historic country house traditions of the rural shires. 

Pages of menus follow, and the photography could have been a little more creative.  The feel of the paper is stock is lovely; there is a handy map on the back; the whole booklet says "Go First Class".

This is a brochure for my collection!

No comments: