Monday
Two rejection letters in the post this morning (I had sent my CV out to various potential employers last week).
In the afternoon I drove about twenty miles to a small town where I had been asked to attend an interview. The advertising agency was located in a three-story Victorian villa near the station. I was asked to wait in a grey-carpeted downstairs room which was completely empty apart from a single chair and lots of packaged products (which I guessed were products waiting to be photographed).
The interview went well. The agency looked attractive. The people seemed friendly.
I drove home and made myself some tea. Just as I sat down my mobile 'phone rang. It was a communications company in a city about forty miles away.
They wanted me to attend an interview. "I wanted to talk to you before anyone else does" the person on the 'phone said. We arranged to meet on Friday.
Tuesday
In the post two rejection letters, three letters suggesting meetings, and a letter from EGJ.
Interestingly, none of the on-line job applications I have made have got anywhere, but the postal CVs I have sent out are getting a good response (perhaps because no-one sends out paper CVs anymore, so there is no competition?).
Wednesday
North London, where it spills over into the Home Counties. In a straggling High Street I attended an interview at a marketing agency. The interview lasted nearly two hours ("We seem to think along the same lines").
I left feeling it was a place I very much wanted to work.
Thursday
Small town just north of London (well into the Green Belt). Being early I walked around the streets looking at the shops. I felt a bit hot in my suit.
Then into an advertising agency for an interview with the Director ("Call me Villy"). I was not terribly impressed with the company which has a hotch-potch of clients. The interview lasted an hour and a half.
Then into central London to a hotel bar in Mayfair. Very expensive drinks. I met the owner of a small advertising agency and he informally interviewed me as we sat on sofas. The meeting went well, although I suspect he might be a bit of a crook. We talked for an hour and twenty minutes. At the end he said a second interview would be useful - a more formal one at his offices.
At Kings Cross I ran into someone I used to know about ten years ago. We talked about old times. He remembered my name easily, but I couldn't remember his.
Friday
To the new town city for an interview at a communications agency. The place was difficult to find, and when I got there I couldn't find a parking place.
Impressed by the stylish interiors - on the wall of the MD's office was an original Eduardo Paolozzi. They had some very good names on their client list. The opening they had was for a copywriter. I was left in a room for half an hour and asked to write five hundred words promoting the city (which makes me suspect the city council is one of their clients). I was asked back for a second interview. "Let us know if anyone makes you an offer in the meantime" the MD said as I left.
Saturday, September 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
My very best wishes for your job search--it seems like it's going well!
Thank you James - it's going better than I expected.
Post a Comment