Friday, May 21, 2010

"I remember as if it were yesterday..."

Discussion I overheard in the office upstairs:

Alec: “Did you watch This Week last night? If you want to see how much of a joke candidate Diane Abbott is, you should tune in to the first ten minutes and watch Digby Jones skewer her on some straightforward economic questions. Most enjoyable.”

Philip (Finance Director): “Yes I watched it last night, I doubt she will even get the thirty MP’s to sign her nomination.”

Terry (our boss): “You say that, but I remember as if it were yesterday nineteen seventy-four when Margaret first dared to stand against Ted, and everyone was saying exactly the same things about her being a joke candidate and a stalking horse for Sir Keith Joseph and the best Tory leader Labour could wish for. The MP's who signed Margaret's nominations were all marginal outsiders and Monday Club members. Admittedly she had to get far fewer nominations than the thirty Labour requires. Also MPs were more chivalrous in those days about not attacking a woman, whereas now they are vicious right from the start…”

No comments: