Monday
Depressed expressions from Andrea and Eleanor when I entered the agency, so that I knew Yvette (our boss) was on the warpath.
Half-way through the morning Yvette called the usual agency meeting and harangued us for the rate at which we were losing clients (although only one client has actually left and one other has complained about the level of service and threatened to leave). There have been few acceptances for the client hospitality event Yvette has invited them to. Neil (graphics designer) has been told to get some of our best ads framed and put up in the reception area.
I tried to remain optimistic today, but it was a struggle.
Tuesday
I didn't rush this morning, knowing that Yvette would be in at midday. But no sooner had I got to my desk Yvette came on the phone wanting to know why I was late. Thank goodness she doesn't know my mobile or I would never have any peace.
Eleanor (newly appointed a Account Exec) was near the end of her tether, having to cope with influenza combined with the excessive work being piled on her (there are penalties associated with being Yvette's favourite).
Chris B, an old friend, paid a visit and I showed him round the offices. Yvette came in, and I introduced them. I could see him staring at her, as if he couldn't believe his eyes.
Julie, new admin assistant, started today. Short in height, brown bubble-perm hair, a little plump. Andrea took her to lunch, presumably to make friends with her (although she said previously that Julie would be Yvette's spy - they had worked together at a previous agency).
Wednesday
The weather much more mild, the geese parading happily in the north field.
As soon as I arrived at the office I was told the news that Paul de Lion (consultant with the PR division upstairs) had resigned.
I was so busy today I had to lay all the job bags on the floor so I could keep track of things. All of the day Yvette continually asked what I was doing, which was irritating. I suspect she actually wanted to keep an eye on Andrea, who was very subdued (she had had an affair with Paul de Lion and the news he was leaving had been a shock to her).
Katherine (PA to Terry who is our MD) came down when I was in the office on my own. We talked about Andrea's affair with Paul de Lion. His wife has apparently thrown him out.
Thursday
I was half an hour late getting to the office, and when I got there I found no-one else was in either. I borrowed the spare keys from Katherine and opened up and hurriedly switched on all the lights. As I did this I could hear someone walking up the stairs, and I was convinced from the heavy steps that it was Yvette, but it was only Chris (part time accounts).
Andrea rang in sick, so I had to sort all her work out.
Because it will be Julie's birthday at the weekend she handed out slices of chocolate cake.
Strange glinting lights on the surface of the Thames, caused by odd rays of sunlight getting through the dull massed clouds. Client meeting near Blackfriars Bridge. Nothing significant was said.
Friday
Absolutely nothing to do today. No work came in, and everyone was at a loose end. At one point we all sat in the general office talking - Yvette said that when she was a child on holiday in Egypt her father had been offered two mangy goats for her ("her Dad would have got the best out of the deal" Neil said later).
Saturday, March 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment