Yesterday I watched Andrew Neil’s This Week show (comes on at 11.30 pm, after the end of Newsnight and the last quarter hour of Question Time - a time when I really should be going to bed). Permanent guests include Diane Abbot and Michael Portillo. Additional guests this week included singer Katie Melua, and Kevin Maguire (political editor of the Daily Mirror) and Jonathan Aitkin.
I used to find Andrew Neil very irritating. He seemed to make a joke of everything. This Week seemed to consist of Andrew Neil clowning about, with the guests occasionally allowed to make a serious point.
I now realise that Andrew Neil is an extremely shrewd and deadly operator. Beneath the jovial buffoon is a political analyst who will lull his guests into committing indiscretions, and then happy-slap them into further confessions. If Andrew Neil lived in the 1880s he would possibly have been a candidate for Jack the Ripper since he totally eviscerates politicians and abstracts their political entrails for examination.
Poor Kevin Maguire. I am sure he is a clever man, but he looked a dunderhead in that company. He is supposed to be “close” to Gordon Brown, which means the hapless things he was saying last night were probably officially sanctioned.
More on Kevin Maguire: http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/uk/kevinmaguire
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment