There was an item on the Today Programme yesterday about Luton’s attempts to improve its image. I am very familiar with Luton, it is near the top of my Top Ten favourite towns. It is one of the most interesting towns I know.
Three examples:
- The Wenlock chapel in St Mary’s church includes an arch that is a wonder of late medieval architecture – one of the finest in Europe.
- The Arndale shopping centre had a fountain inside which featured gigantic pink flamingos (plastic?).
- On the southern edge of Luton is Luton Hoo, a big stately home where a Russian princess set up a replica of the imperial Russian court that lasted well into the 1970s.
But the best thing about Luton is the people. I made many friends there – loyal, courageous, clever, hard-working, tough when they need to be, always glad to see you. Nowhere else seemed to have the same kind of people.
1 comment:
you might well enjoy this then ;) http://www.flickr.com/groups/luton/
Post a Comment