
The Morning Star – a comfortable, quiet and unpretentious pub. Not the sort of place you would want to spend all night in. But definitely the sort of pub to slip into in the early evening when you just want a quiet drink and to be left alone.
The Morning Star is a name for the planet Venus, brightest celestial object after the Sun and the Moon. Because of its position in relation to the Sun and the Earth the planet Venus can also, confusingly, appear as the Evening Star. C. S. Lewis described a visit to Venus in his 1943 novel Perelandra.
The Morning Star is the title of a Marxist daily newspaper, formerly affiliated to the Communist Party of Great Britain. Due to the incessant factional in-fighting that characterises extreme left-wing politics this affiliation has in recent years been denounced and repudiated (with latterly even the denouncers being denounced in yet more accusations of class betrayal). The newspaper still carries on however, with editorials routinely attacking what it calls the “ruling classes”.
The Morning Star newspaper used to have offices in Farringdon Road. If you catch the Metropolitan Line from Kings Cross to Liverpool Street the “Underground” train actually runs in a deep cutting open to the sky for a short distance. When I was a child I travelled this route (en route to Norwich) and remember the tube train stopping at Farringdon and someone in the carriage pointing upwards and saying excitedly: “Look – the morning star!” I looked upwards (along with several others in the carriage) to where the grey cloudy sky could be seen high above. There was no sign of any stars. It was only as the train moved away that I noticed the red lettering that said “Morning Star” affixed to a building that backed onto the cutting.
4 comments:
Read "The Morning Star" by George William Russell (a.k.a. AE)?
This wa ssuch a delightful post and exactly what I enjoy so much about your stuyle of thinking and writing. a little journey and a photo, wonderful.
To particiapte with "20 comments wednesday" go here
and read some details and copy the html provided
http://ateapie.blogspot.com/2006/06/post-20-comments-day.html
into your template. It is a little button that is grey and say "20 comments" on it.
To make links on your blog...
I can see that you have deleted the original links provided by blooger on your page.
They were located just below the "profile" section on your template.
so...try to find a space there now...
and use the following ONLY replace the curved brackets I type here with the angular ones on your key board.
An example to link
(look or type the header example)"LINKS" it may still be on your template, okay?
(li)(a href=http://gnosticminx.blogspot.com/)Candy Minx(/a)(/li)
so you are going to replace those curved brackets with these <>
Then if say in one of your posts you wish to link a website of relelvance to a topic...like more info on the novel by C.S. Lewis or a stock photo of Venus for example you would type something like this....
(a href=http://photoofvenus.com/)Venus(/a)(/li)
that html would be for within your posts not in the template for links...
I hope this made sense I am not particularily skilled at bloogging and even less so at communicating about html or blogging ha ha ha!
take care and good luck with making some links.
one of the advantages of having links on your blog is that it brings more visitors, opens up a friendly dialogue with fellow bloggers and is an invaluable tool if you are away from your usual computer turning your blog into a kind of portable reference base.
Cheers,
Candy
http://gnosticminx.blogspot.com/
sorry I didn't proofread my typos...but the directions of html survived my poor typing skills today...
Thanks Manjusha - I'll look it up (never heard of it before).
Thanks Candy, I'll give it a go next week.
Andrew
Post a Comment