
On Monday I watched Downfall, a German film directed by Oliver Hirschbiegel and starring Alexandra Maria Lara as a secretary in the Berlin bunker (that bunker) during the last days of the Second World War (the script was based on the memoirs of Traudl Jung). The film captured the mood of claustrophobia, fanaticism and paranoia, seen through the (supposedly innocent) eyes of Traudl Jung. It was a fascinating film, and also explained why the German regime was convinced, right to the last minute, that they would win. Previously I had thought that the German leaders were self-deluded or even mad, refusing to acknowledge that their forces were overwhelmed and their cities in ruins. However the film gave a different view, conveying the total belief the Germans had in the cold-blooded theory of Darwinian selection. Darwinian theory underpinned all their actions, and convinced them that ultimately the stronger and more ruthless forces would triumph over the weaker nations (as we know, Darwin's theory was faulty in this case).
I only manage to see films on television since there never seems to be enough time to go to the cinema (although I do hope to see Mrs Henderson Presents). Cinema is one of the most powerful visual mediums - you are sat in the dark, looking at colour images many times larger than life, listening to sophisticated sound systems. Films on television are a poor substitute.
Downfall was broadcast on new satellite channel More4. I am very impressed with this new channel. Right from the start they seem to be placing an emphasis upon quality of content rather than a populist drive to gain ratings (that is also the policy of this weblog!).
No comments:
Post a Comment